Professor Carlos Valente
Carlos Valente is currently a 7th Degree Red & Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Robson Gracie. Professor Carlos Valente was born in Rio De Janeiro. He became involved in martial arts at a very young age. Carlos Valente met the Gracie family early on and was privileged to begin his training with the legendary Rolls Gracie. At the Rolls Gracie Academy he had the opportunity to learn from the Gracie family champion at the time and also train and compete with some of the world’s most famous jiu-jitsu fighters such as Rylion Gracie, Renzo Gracie, Carlos Gracie Jr., Royler Gracie, Crolin Gracie, Fabio Santos, Sergio “Malibu”, the Machado brothers, Romero “Jacare” Cavalcanti, Nicin Azulay, Pedro Sauer, Renan Pitangui, Rodrigo "Mazor", Marcio "Macorron", Ricardo Azoury, Talarico "Tarado", Mauricao, Alvaro Romano, Ze Beleza, Vandao, Paulo "Conde" Ruba, Tonico "Bambu" and many others. After Roll's tragic death in the early 80’s, Carlos became a student of Rickson Gracie, under whom he earned his black belt. Carlos Valente help teach at the first Rickson Academy in Los Angeles and accompanied Rickson to many of his Mixed Martial Arts Competitions.
Valente was one of the first instructors to arrive in the U.S., second to Rorion Gracie, founder of the Ultimate Fighting Championship where Valente served as fight Coordinator.
Carlos Leading the Gracie Entourage UFC 1
[rokbox title=”Carlos Valente:: Gracie Entourage-UFC” thumb=”http://www.valenteacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ufc.jpg” size=”400 275″ ]http://www.valenteacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/carlos.flv[/rokbox]
The United Arab Emirates
Carlos Valente along with friend Nelson Monteiro were the first instructors invited to teach at the Abu Dhabi Combat Club in the United Arab Emeriates and lived there for two years teaching Jiu-Jitsu. Carlos Valente along with friend Nelson Monteiro paved the way for the modern day jiu-jitsu tournaments the Abu Dhabi ADCC(no-gi) and Abu Dhabi Pro.
Valente was also mentor to many modern Jiu-Jitsu champions such as Vitor Belfort and Five- Time PanAm Champion), Eduardo Telles (Brazilian Champion 2001) and many others.
- Black Belt Judo under Kazu Yoshida since 1978/Estate and Brazilian Champion for Ten Years
- ALOHA Games Champion 1986-1993
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Champion, 10 years
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor by Rickson Gracie International Jiu-Jitsu Assocation
- 1992 Certified 2nd Degree Black Belt by the Confederation of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from Carlos Gracie Jr.
- 1990 Certified Black Belt instructor by Robson Gracie and the Federation of Jiu-Jitsu of the state of Rio de Janeiro
- Co-founder of the first Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Hawaii with Relson Gracie in 1985 (located at the University of Hawaii)
- Trained Navy Seals in San Diego. Teams 3, 5 and Boat Unit.
- Trained Border Patrol, DEA and many other local law inforcement.
Currently Carlos Valente is part of Team Noguera in San Diego
Professor Valente has worked to help spread Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu around the world. After being the first to bring Jiu-Jitsu to Hawaii Carlos Valente moved back to California where he currently resides. He teaches at the main academy located in San Diego. Currently, Professor Valente is also a writer in MMA Magazine and mentor to many of the world’s best modern Jiu-Jitsu champions such as Vitor Belfort, Andre Galvao, Eduardo Telles and many others.